At Little Dish, we have worked closely with an expert Nutritionist to develop a set of nutritional rules to ensure that every Little Dish recipe is perfectly balanced for your little one. We have put these rules in place so we can give you the confidence that a Little Dish meal provides everything you would want a main meal to provide for a 1 – 3 year old to meet their daily needs as part of a balanced healthy diet.
Here are the nutritional standards we set for every Little Dish meal:
- At least one of five a day
- Low in salt
- No added sugar
- No additives or preservatives
- Contains a source of protein
- Nutritionally balanced for energy, fat, saturated fat and naturally occurring sugars
You can also rest assured that our meals contain:
- Only ingredients that you would find in your kitchen
- British meat
- Sustainably sourced fish
So how did we create our nutritional rules?
Our nutritionist used the following guidelines and sources to create our Little Dish product rules:
- PARNUTS – these are legal rules we have to follow and all of our 1 year plus meals conform to these standards
- Daily requirements for 1 – 3 year olds for energy are based on Scientific Advisory Commission ‘Dietary Reference Values for Energy’.
- Daily requirements for 1 – 3 year olds for fat, saturated fat, sugars and are based on Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy (1991) ‘Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the UK for 1- 3 year olds’.
- Caroline Walker Trust
- Children’s Food Trust
Using this information we break down the daily requirements for these important nutrients into what a main meal should provide for a 1 – 3 year old which is no more than 30% for fats and sugar whilst ensuring that the meal delivers between 20 – 30% of energy requirements.